Friday, July 11, 2014

Day 4


I had written this great, uplifting entry and then decided to post this instead:

Today I took the kids to Chick-Fil-A for lunch followed by Krispy Kreme for cheap donuts and I'll be taking them to 7-Eleven this evening for a free Slurpee. Why? Because I'm a freakin' masochist! I must really enjoy the torture. Apparently watching people eat at my favorite fast food place wasn't awful enough as I sat there and ate hard boiled eggs and cucumber with a cup of ice water. I proceeded to then pile my kids back in the car and drive to Krispy Kreme to pick up two dozen donuts. Mind you this also entailed waiting in a line, watching the hot donuts take their shower in the sugary glaze waterfall for 30 minutes.

Curran called while I was waiting in line at Krispy Kreme and I bet he was a little surprised to hear where I was. I was more than a little surprised to find myself standing there too. I told him I think subconsciously I wanted to test my will power. And considering my record with diets this was probably a really, really dumb idea--especially when I'm in the throes of week one. But let's be honest, I can't live my life hiding out at home with my vegetables and lean protein just so I never have to face temptation. My friends and I like to go out to eat. It's what we do. It's how we give our kids (and us) a break. And today was the first time since starting that I ventured out to do what is somewhat "typical" for us. I survived, though. I passed the test...today. I'm sure life will sucker punch me in the face at some point in the near future and I will look to food for solace. So if you call/text to invite us out to eat and I ignore you chances are I'll be cowering in a dark corner in the fetal position, rocking back and forth repeating the words: "This too shall pass."

P.S. Though I haven't eaten a single donut (and don't plan to) you better believe I've sniffed the hell out of them.

No comments: