Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Confessions of an Unfit Mother

  1. I don't grind my own wheat.
  2. I don't bake my own bread.
  3. I don't sew all my clothes--I can't even sew a button on or hem a pair of pants unless fabric glue is involved.
  4. I don't have a home garden.
  5. I don't do my own canning from the bounteous harvest of aforementioned garden.
  6. We sometimes have "t.v. days" cause I just don't have the energy to plan great and exciting things for my kids to do.
  7. I don't keep a journal for myself or for my amazing children.
  8. Sometimes I can't sneak a shower into my crazy day.
  9. I let my kids eat unhealthy snacks.
  10. I don't shop with coupons.
  11. I always seem to forget my reusable grocery bags when I go shopping thus increasing my carbon footprint.
  12. I bribe my kids with candy.
  13. Sometimes my kids go days without a bath.
  14. It takes me days to do laundry cause I'll start a load and get so distracted I wont remember to switch it till days later at which point I have to re-wash the load.
  15. I often forget to read my scriptures/say my prayers.
  16. I screen my calls a lot--even those from dear friends.
  17. I seem to live a lot in the "What if" mode and let my beautiful reality pass me by.

And this is only a partial list. I woke up this morning knowing it was going to be "one of those days." And then for a split second the negative thoughts began to surface--how I should be doing more of the good things and less of the bad things, and berating myself for not living up to these self-imposed expectations I feel I have to live up to. But you know what? I'm a good mother! My children are happy and healthy and thriving. I have the awesome blessing of getting to stay home with them. I am here for them whenever they need me. And although I may not be readily available when they come to me they always know I am close by. I need to quit beating myself up for all the things I don't do and start recognizing all the good I do.

In the words of Stewart Smalley: I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And gosh darn it, people like me.

Thanks for joining me for this mini therapy session. I feel better.

3 comments:

Aranne and Dan said...

I LOVE this post! I could pretty much just copy and paste it into my blog because I am exactly the same as you... I think deep down we all are (I am hoping anyways) and we all need to realize we are doing the best we can and like you said... that is good enough and all we can do. Thanks for helping me realize that!

Gma Banta said...

Carol you are the funniest! You are a great mother, and yes, you have flaws - but they aren't terrible, just human and you do treat your children well - I'm not so sure about your husband! LOL.

Lisa said...

This also sounds like me, but Kevin hasn't completely caught on yet. :)