Friday, May 15, 2009

Mmmm...tasty!

Mother's Day was a rough day for me. I had just driven back from Vegas and got home with a fever and horrible body aches. My emotions were all over the place and I think the whole family could sense it. It was a pretty uneventful day--probably because everyone was tryingto steer clear of me. The next day, however, Lola presented me with a very nice lunch she prepared herself. I heard her hard at work in the kitchen, and since I wasn't hearing any screaming or smelling any smoke I let her be. When she told me lunch was served this is what I found:

My post-Mother's Day lunch included water in Lola's favorite cup, cheez-its, a banana and an apple she peeled herself.


Here is a closer look at the apple. This is the exact way it was presented to me. When I heard her with the potato peeler I was a little worried she might hurt her fingers, but I decided to leave her alone, and after about 10 arduous minutes she let out a huge sigh and proudly placed the apple alongside my other treats.

The banana had seen better days
Lola made me feel really loved. Now that she is growing up and is a lot more independent I constantly find myself wanting to hold her a little longer. Moments like this make every bead of sweat and tear of frustration and sadness so worth it. I don't need expensive gifts to make me happy. Over-ripe bananas, badly peeled apples, cheez-its and water is all it took to make my Mother's Day the best one yet.



2 comments:

Josh and Christina said...

Oh, man, that is the GREATEST!!! I love it!! I used to make "presents" like that for my mom...LOL!! You just made my day!

Karen said...

That's just too cute! I hope you enjoyed your nice meal!