Saturday, August 30, 2008

What Happened to the Classic Cartoons?

I don't know how many of you are familiar with "kid-friendly" TV nowadays, but it's nothing like it was when we were kids. There are no more classic cartoons anymore. Instead there are shows like this:
This is Yo Gabba Gabba. Not only has it invaded kid TV, it is now invading toy shelves. This show is so low budget--it's like Teletubbies, but for a slightly older audience. The guy in the orange...well he's just plain scary. He's stuck in the 70's with that orange jumpsuit and white shoes.
Then there's Wonderpets...oh Wonderpets. What catchy tunes you have--I find myself singing along during the show and then it's stuck in my head all day long. Once again--you can find Wonderpets toys at your local Target or Walmart. It's hard to describe why I find this show so annoying--the baby chick talks like a baby--says things like "this is sewious." I think that's what it is.
Aside from these two shows I'm just amazed at how many grown men are on kid shows--is this the pinnacle of their acting careers? Have they dreamed their whole lives of getting to where they are now? Sometimes I watch them and I'm slightly embarrased for them. Don't get me wrong--some of them I really like (Mr. Rogers, that guy from Blues Clues), but there are others like Imagination Movers, The Upside Down Show, and Yo Gabba Gabba that kinda give me the creeps.

4 comments:

Sparklebot said...

I LOVE Wonderpets! This calls for CELERY!

jojomynx said...

ROFL - Oh my GOSH - the pinnacle of their acting career? You crack me up. The imagination movers kinda scare me, and I much prefer the Happy Monster Band for my catchy tunes, thanks. btw - is Mr Rogers still kickin'?

Denny said...

Not sure what's wrong with Men on Children's programs, but Mr. Rogers is not Kickin' anything anymore but the bucket. If you are a 70's child, you would remember that many many people made fun of him too, including comedian Eddie Murphy in the SNL skit Mister Robinson's Neighborhood, about an angry inner-city black man & thief.

Ohh yeah, you tube "Umbilical Brothers" They are not just 'kid' performers.

Jessica said...

I will take the Imagination Movers over Yo Gabba Gabba anyday, and my boys like them.

We love the Backyardigans on Nick, even though I still haven't figured out what kind of creature Uniqua is, but our favorites are Curious George and Word World on PBS. Word World is my favorite show. I would let the boys watch it all day long.