Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Roll out!



Didn't every kid in America grow up with a car like this? I know we owned at least two of these--a rusted silver one and a sweet mustard colored one with wood paneling. I know my Tia Estela owned a green one too. But seeing this car just brought back a million memories for me.
We frequented the drive-in in one. The back would be folded down and loaded with blankets and pillows and all sorts of toys and junk.
These puppies could hold like a whole army. My mom would drive us to Catholic school in one and all the kids had some kind of army vehicle name for it.
My brother was sitting the front seat once and he was hanging on to the door handle for safety only to hang on a little too tight, accidently open the door, and go flying out of car.
Once on our way to school the horn got stuck and we drove the entire way with this blaring horn going--as if the car didn't call enough attention to itself.
In my aunt's car I remember we (all the cousins) piled into one--from the rear door cause they all had those sweet doors in the back. As we were getting ready to drive away the driver tried to roll up the back window, not realizing one of my cousins had their head OUT the window and when everyone started to scream cause someone was stuck she panicked and couldn't figure out how to roll the window down.
Oh, the memories...I would drive one of these now over a mini-van ANY day.

2 comments:

The way of The Rose said...

we had one :). We drove this baby to area conference one year. My bff Ane, and I sat in the back seat..yup it was an akward time for a teenager back then to find out that she and her bff were not riding in the coolest car ever. Hmmm 1st clue would be when the cute guy parked across from us in the parking lot started laughing at us...oh yes my friend oooooh the memories.

Gma Banta said...

LOL! I even inherited a 1957 Plymouth stationwagon - pink and black! Talk about being laughed at! Girl, you have no idea!