Sunday, December 20, 2009

Year End Letter


The year-end letters have been coming in for a couple of weeks at the Mitchell abode. They are always fun to read, and I honestly feel touched that my friends have me on their Christmas card lists cause let's be honest, I am not the best at the whole "K.I.T" thing. I have infinitely good intentions on that front, but rarely do they amount to much--I guess that's why they're called "intentions" and not "deeds."

I caught this clip one night while the TV was on and it made me kinda chuckle. This by no means reflects my personal feelings, but in the sea of letters that come in every year (I said "sea" like I'm oh-so-popular, riiiiiight...maybe it's more of a river...or a stream.) I must admit that the general feelings portrayed here may have surfaced for a minute or two. I think mostly it must just be my envy of my friend's abilities to have their lives together enough to manage to not only write a year-end letter, but to print and mail out numerous copies of it to their loved ones. I think the idea is great, but then my laziness kicks in and I rationalize that it requires WAY more effort than I can justify. I guess I just figure that for those people who are genuinely interested in the affairs of the Mitchells I have a trusty blog (which fails to get updated regularly, but that's a story for another day). I also have a VERY active (maybe too active) Facebook profile that will pretty much even tell my friends and family what I had for breakfast today (2 cookies--hey it's Christmas time--totally acceptable to have cookies for breakfast), and how I felt about the last episode of Glee (awesome!!). I understand that there are people out there who may not have access to the internet and may not be able to keep up with us through all these technological tools. My parents would be "Blog? Que es eso?! Libro de Cara? De que diablos hablas?!" In such cases year-end letters are fantastic, but I find it much easier to call my mom every couple of days and fill her in on the wondrous adventure that is our life.

So, to summarize, I really do love the year-end letters. I think it's a great way to reflect back on the year as a whole. I think we sometimes fail to see our lives in terms of the "big picture" and thus ofttimes fail to see just how much we've accomplished and how much we've grown. The year-end letter remedies that--not to mention that it's a great way to sum up a whole year's worth of missed emails/phone calls without pointing out what a terrible friend I am for ignoring the people I love. So, please keep those letters coming. They will not be mocked in our household, but rather cherished for reminding me that despite my flaws my friends continue to remember me and love me. But if the number of cards/letters drops next year and I'm inexplicably "un-friended" on Facebook I guess I have only to come back to this post to realize why...

3 comments:

The way of The Rose said...

Love it, can I copy/paste/change names around, and post it on my blog as my explanation for lack of K.I.T skills/efforts..etc.etc. I have a stash of X-mas cards somewhere all with the intention of being sent.

Sparklebot said...

FYI, I WILL mock your year-end letters! But, that doesn't mean I don't want to get them :)

The Mayne Attraction said...

You mean a blog doesn't constitute keeping in touch? Love it, the blog and the video! You took the words right out of my mouth...and then made them 100 times funnier. Hope you know I miss you, even though I didn't send you a year end letter. :(